Monday, March 21, 2016

Pro Photographer Quick Tips: 6 Simple Tips for Prepping for your Portrait with Kids or Animals



It's no simple task to gather the family, make them look presentable and keep them happy so that you can record the moments forever.  I only have one kid and one dog, but I totally get it.

Here are my favorite 5 tips for making the most of your portrait time:

1.  Prep AHEAD of time.  Let's talk about anything you'd like to include in your portrait or the clothing ahead of time.  Get everything cleaned, pressed and ready ahead of time.  Now, put it somewhere safe where it can wait for your appointment time.  Get hair cut a week before, drink lots of water, eat healthy and get some sleep in the days before. For your animals, groom them ahead as much as possible.

2.  Plan a mellow day the day of your appointment if possible, or at least a couple hours before your appointment, so there is time to relax.  Rushing around just before a session often leads to arguments and tension (I've seen that happen!)  so keep the hours before the session as relaxed as possible.

3.  Sometimes optimal light time for photography falls during meal times.  If it's not conducive to have a meal, at least have snacks.  Some healthy ones--not sugar filled ones!  So kids (and adults) aren't grumpy or hangry!

4.  Know that it's totally okay to love the images where the subjects aren't looking at the camera--the ones where they're interacting and having a good time and forgetting that I'm there recording the moment.

5. Be patient.  Sometimes it takes a little time for everyone to relax into the session.  Animals don't always cooperate and kids, well, they can be kids!  I have lots of patience and I'm there for you.  It'll happen, it often just takes a bit of extra patience and a little extra time.

6. Treats.  I'd like to believe that I make sessions with kids so fun that we don't need treats for kids, but particularly with animals, bring their favorite treats as incentive.  As in the very best, their very favorite.  Perhaps the treat isn't even edible, but a favorite squeaky toy, ball or whatever it is, make sure it's available for the session.  I'll also bring treats.  (Sometimes I feel like I'm the pied piper because my treats are different than usual--it makes me very popular!)



Have more questions about your session?  Contact me!

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Member Professional Photographers of America

Member Professional Photographers of California

Member Professional Photographers of California