Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Let's Strike a Pose: Body Language and Headshots


In working with clients, I aim to  create portraits that will connect, compel and engage the viewer immediately, because it takes just a 10th of a second to make a first impression.  I want you to feel a strong connection to the subjects of my portraits--like you know them.

To create portraits that will make a strong impression, I pay close attention to body language.  I've been described as a photographer that "takes a soft approach to corporate head shots."  I do spend a bit of time chatting with my subject before I even lift my camera.  Why?  I find that if I create a bit of connection with my subject before diving into the shoot, my subject relaxes.  Let's be honest, most of my subjects aren't super models.  That's not to say they aren't beautiful or attractive, just that most of them don't earn their living being photographed all day.  Most of my subjects come to me feeling apprehensive, nervous and worried about the shoot.  So when I ask them questions about themselves or their life rather than jump behind my camera, they relax a little.  I also let them know that I'm not fond of being photographed either and because of that, I understand their feelings and I know how to and strive to create images that will show them at their best.

But on the technical side, while we're chatting, I'm also looking at their face and assessing what will look best for posing and lighting.  Have they expressed concern about how wide their face is?  (I get that a lot--can you make me look thinner?)  And I can with simple posing and lighting.  Spending a few moments to chat also allows me some time to study my subject's face and determine what will look best for them.

I not only want to make my subject look great, but appear confident and approachable, so I make sure that their body language is open, not closed.  I feel strongly that crossed arms don't create portraits that engage the viewer, so you most likely won't see that pose in my images.  And I do prefer a strong eye connection with the viewer.  I'm also looking to capture the elusive "real" smile.  I'm not just trying to present a good photograph of my subject, but one that conveys their personality through their eyes and a real smile, which I think, is evidence of their confidence.

Head position is important.  Most people tend to tilt their head to one side or the other.  When I ask them to bring their head to center, they will often simply tilt to the other side.  For most corporate head shots, I prefer to have no tilt or a very small tilt of the head to show interest, although for a less corporate branding, a small tilt could send a message of openness.  

Finally, I always tell my subject to "lean in"--I think this creates a subtle image of conspiratorial bonding with the viewer.  I know, sounds a little goofy, but I believe it creates an image of being interested and ready.


"When our body language is confident and open, other people respond in kind, unconsciously reinforcing not only their perception of us but also our perception of ourselves."  Amy Cuddy

So let's strike a pose and create awesome head shots!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Member Professional Photographers of America

Member Professional Photographers of California

Member Professional Photographers of California