Monday, April 25, 2016

On Photographing Animals

The last several shoots have included one VERY large dog and about a dozen horses as subjects. I feel a little bit like I've been herding cats!
I definitely approach photographing animals differently than photographing people.  Even if I plan on shooting with available light, I always bring lighting gear, just in case I can't find the light I need or want so that I can create my own.  With animals (and kids), however, I need to be cognizant of their unfamiliarity with big, white, round and floppy discs (my reflectors) or lights that flash at them or even the way my gear sounds. (I once photographed a horse that was fearful of the sound of the shutter!) I work hard to find the right space and the right light to avoid a lot of hullabaloo.  And I bring my patience with me, because more likely than not, it's often a waiting game for the animal/kids to put it's/their best face forward.
When the magic happens, it's awesome!

Would you like to have your favorite animals photographed?  Drop me a line and we can plan it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Member Professional Photographers of America

Member Professional Photographers of California

Member Professional Photographers of California